What To Do If Your Child Is Injured In A Car Accident

Child Injury Claims

Car accidents are among some of the most common child injury cases we see in our office – especially with older or teenage children. If your child has been injured in a car accident, you are likely juggling a lot and may require the assistance of a lawyer. Here are a few steps to keep in mind to arrive at the best outcome after a traumatic car accident.

1)   Actively Pursue Medical Treatment

First and foremost, take your child for whatever medical treatment is recommended, as soon as possible, including emergency room visits, follow-up appointments, therapies and rehabilitations, and more. The first priority must always be your child’s well-being and as a parent you know when your child is not back to normal and needs to continue with medical treatment.  It can be confusing trying to figure out which insurance should be paying your child’s medical bills, but a personal injury lawyer can discuss this with you and sort through how to submit the medical bills for payment.

2)   Decide Whether You Need a Lawyer

Acting on behalf of children can be more complicated than when only adults are involved. A court has to approve any settlement of a child’s claim that is more than $25,000. If your child’s car accident injury is significant, rather than a minor mishap, it may be best to hire a lawyer who can help with the issues that arise in pursuing and settling a child’s personal injury case.  It can be overwhelming caring for an injured child and making sure that the child receives the full value of their claim and a personal injury attorney can help.

3)   Keep Track of Damages

If you find that you need to work with a lawyer, you can rest assured that most of the necessary documentation can be taken care of by the legal team. However, you may want to make the process easier by keeping track of any losses or damages your child experiences. For children, these may include days absent from school, as well as medical bills. Keep a folder of bills, receipts, letters, and other documents you receive to share with the lawyer if you choose to hire one.

4)   Let the Lawyer Do the Talking

In speaking with an insurance adjuster, they may ask you or your child to make a statement to settle the claim. Rarely should you let your child give a statement to the insurance company, and if at all possible, avoid giving one yourself. In many cases involving significant injury with large claim settlements, it’s best if your lawyer speaks with the insurance company.

If you find that you need a lawyer after your child is injured in a car accident, we are here to help. We can walk you through the process and be your advocate with the insurance company and in court. For a free consultation, fill out our contact form or give us a call at (319) 826-2250.